We call for primatologists, ethologists, anthropologists, sociobiologists, evolutionary, cognitive and comparative psychologists, biolinguists, evolutionary linguists, bio-ethicists, philosophers and historians of science, to provide talks on:
(1) Historical reviews on the introduction and use of primate studies to acquire knowledge on the origin and evolution of communication and language
(2) Methodologies of primate communication and language research
(3) Theories on primate communication and the evolution of language
(4) Ethical issues in social primatology and human ethology
Much more than providing a platform for the dissemination of new research results, the conference organizers will give preference to reflexive talks, that deal with theoretical, methodological and ethical issues of primate research and ethology, and how the latter fields provide insight into human language evolution.
Abstracts can be sent electronically, to Ricardo Santos. The following information should be included:
Last Name (+ Possible co-presenters)
Abstracts can maximally contain 500 words, references not included.
Deadline for abstract submission is June 30th, 2012, and notification of acceptance will follow by July, 15th, 2012.
The scientific committee will award one presenter with a "best presentation award". With the courtesy of Springer, the recipient will receive a Springer Book Voucher for the worth of 180 euro.
A selection of talks will be published in an anthology for the Springer Book Series "Interdisciplinary Evolution Research". Editors-in-chief of the series are Nathalie Gontier and Olga Pombo.
The conference will be held at the Auditorium of the FFCUL | Edifício C1 - Piso3, Faculty of Science of the University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Rod Bennison, CEO Minding Animals International
- Rudie Botha, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa and University of Leiden, the Netherlands
- Massimiliano L. Cappuccio, United Arab Emirates University, The United Arab Emirates
- Daniel Dor, Tel Aviv University, Israel
- Luc Faucher, UQAM, Candada
- Nathalie Gontier, Free University of Brussels, Belgium (chair)
- David Leavens, University of Sussex, UK
- Robert Lickliter, Florida International University, US
- Jorge M.L. Marques da Silva, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Mark Nelissen, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Eugenia Ramirez Goicoechea, UNED, Spain
- Emanuele Serrelli, University of Milan, Italy
- Chris Sinha, Lund University, Sweden
- James Steele, University College London, UK
- Ian Tattersall, American Museum of Natural History, NY
- Natalie Uomini, University of Liverpool, UK
- Arie Verhagen, University of Leiden, the Netherlands
- Luis Vicente, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Nathalie Gontier (chair), Dutch Free University of Brussels, Belgium
- Marco Pina, Center for Philosophy of Science, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Olga Pombo, Center for Philosophy of Science, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Questions on the program:
Questions on practicalities (travel, registration, lodging):
Questions on the website:
Deadline abstract submission
June 30th, 2012
Notification of acceptance
July 15th, 2012
August 15th, 2012
September 10-12, 2012
Will be made available in August, 2012.
Abstracts of the plenary lectures are available here.
The conference dinner will be held on September 10th, 2012, at the Fábrica de Braço de Prata, Rua de Fábrica de material de Guerra, Lisbon.
We kindly remind you to pay the conference dinner.