The Centre for Philosophy of Science of the University of Lisbon (CFCUL) officially started its activities in July 2003 and it is composed of an interdisciplinary team that includes integraded members and collaborators, national and international, with distinct institutional affiliations. The CFCUL also has the support of three prestigious consultants.
The CFCUL develops its activities within six Research Groups, and aims to promote the development of the Philosophy of Science in Portugal by supporting and favouring research in the field of Philosophy of Science, by participating in Research Projects, by collaborating with national and international teams, by doing research supervision of Post-graduate students, by linking research and Post-graduation through the Master and PhD Programmes in History and Philosophy of Science of the FCUL, and the Master in Bioethics of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Lisbon.
The CFCUL aims also to spread knowledge in the field of Philosophy of Science, by promoting national and international Colloquia, Conferences, Workshops and other meetings, by promoting a Philosophy of Science Permanent Seminar and other conference cycles, by publishing the results of the research (papers, books and dissertations), by setting up the journal Kairos, Philosophy & Science, and five publication series: Philosophy of Science Notebooks, Thesis, Documenta, Evolution: Foundations and Challenges, and Image in Science and Art.
The conference will be held at the Auditorium of the FFCUL | Edifício C1 - Piso3, Faculty of Science of the University of Lisbon, Portugal.
- Rod Bennison, CEO Minding Animals International
- Rudie Botha, University of Stellenbosch, South Africa and University of Leiden, the Netherlands
- Massimiliano L. Cappuccio, United Arab Emirates University, The United Arab Emirates
- Daniel Dor, Tel Aviv University, Israel
- Luc Faucher, UQAM, Candada
- Nathalie Gontier, Free University of Brussels, Belgium (chair)
- David Leavens, University of Sussex, UK
- Robert Lickliter, Florida International University, US
- Jorge M.L. Marques da Silva, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Mark Nelissen, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Eugenia Ramirez Goicoechea, UNED, Spain
- Emanuele Serrelli, University of Milan, Italy
- Chris Sinha, Lund University, Sweden
- James Steele, University College London, UK
- Ian Tattersall, American Museum of Natural History, NY
- Natalie Uomini, University of Liverpool, UK
- Arie Verhagen, University of Leiden, the Netherlands
- Luis Vicente, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Nathalie Gontier (chair), Dutch Free University of Brussels, Belgium
- Marco Pina, Center for Philosophy of Science, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Olga Pombo, Center for Philosophy of Science, University of Lisbon, Portugal
Questions on the program:
Questions on practicalities (travel, registration, lodging):
Questions on the website:
Deadline abstract submission
June 30th, 2012
Notification of acceptance
July 15th, 2012
August 15th, 2012
September 10-12, 2012
Will be made available in August, 2012.
Abstracts of the plenary lectures are available here.
The conference dinner will be held on September 10th, 2012, at the Fábrica de Braço de Prata, Rua de Fábrica de material de Guerra, Lisbon.
We kindly remind you to pay the conference dinner.